Total Time: For undecorated about 40 m. But have fun and decorate!
Skill Level: Easy Peasy. Budget: $. Serves: 24 cookies
- 3/4 c. dark brown sugar
- 1/2 c. butter, softened
- 1/3 c. molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp. water
- 2 and 2/3 c. all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. allspice
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- icing, icing pens, gum drops or decorating candies for the finishing touches.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer cream the butter and sugar together until smooth. Then beat in the water, molasses and egg. In a separate bowl mix together the flour, dry spices, baking soda, and salt. Use a large spoon to scoop the dry mixture -little by little- into the wet mixture while mixing. Stop when thoroughly mixed.
- Separate the dough into two spheres and individuals wrap them with cling wrap. Place in the fridge for 20 m.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°. Using a silicon baking mat or lightly floured workstation roll out one sphere at a time to a thickness of 1/8″. Cut with gingerbread men and women cookie cutters and place at least 1″ apart on a cookie sheet.
- Bake 8-10 m. – until edges are firmed up. Remove the cookies from sheets to wire racks and allow to cool before decorating.