Warm Potato Salad Royale
Total Time: 40 minutes
Skill Level: Easy Peasy. Budget: $. Serves: 4
- 6 chicken eggs or 15 quails eggs
- 1 c. frozen peas
- 1 3/4 lb. new potatoes, washed
- 1 c. basil
- 1 bunch mint leaves or sorrel
- 1/2 c. parsley leaves
- 1/3 c. pine nuts (or almond slivers instead if you like)
- 1/2 c. parmesan cheese, grated (2 0z.)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 c. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- In a pan of boiling water cook the potatoes for 15-20 m. until soft.
- Place the quail eggs eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to boil. Reduce to simmer and cook for 30 seconds (soft boiled) up to 2 minutes (hard boiled) based on preference. If using chicken eggs: bring a pot of water to boil and then reduce to simmer. Once simmering gently lower the eggs in and simmer for 5 (soft boiled yolk) to 7 minutes (barely set yolk). Allow eggs to cool on countertop.
- While the potatoes finish cooking place the basil, parsley, pine nuts, parmesan and garlic in a food processor and pulse to a paste. Add the oil and pulse until you get a runny pesto. Pour into a large bowl.
- Drain potatoes then cut them in halves or fourths- whatever makes them bitesize. Add to the bowl with pesto and toss with the vinegar, mint/sorrel and peas Mix mell, don’t be afraid to have partially squashed potatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Finally, cut the eggs in half and gently fold in. Garnish with a bit more parsley.
Thanks to Plenty for this recipe which I’ve only adapted slightly.