Braised Cabbage (for St. Patrick’s Day)
Total Time: 30 minutes
Skill Level: Easy Peasy. Budget: $. Serves: 4
- 1 large head of cabbage, cut into 3/4″ strips
- 1/4 lb. bacon, cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 1 c. vegetable stock
- 1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
- pinch of salt
- Sauté off the bacon in a pan over medium high heat until it is the somewhat chewy somewhat crunchy consistency that you want.
- Drain off all but 2 tbsp. of the bacon fat. Toss the cabbage in (it should sizzle a bit) and cook for about 4-5 minutes, until withered slightly.
- Add the vegetable stock and vinegar to the pan with a pinch of salt and cook the cabbage until tender and until most of the liquid is reduced.
- Serve with corned beef and other Irish fares.