Buffalo Wing Popcorn
Total Time: 40 minutes
Skill Level: Easy Peasy. Budget: $. Serves: 8 servings
- cooking spray
- 8 c. popped plain popcorn (from ½ c. kernels)
- ¾ c. sugar
- ¼ c. Frank’s Red Hot Original sauce
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon pad. Spray the front and back of your silicon pad with cooking spray and lightly coat a large mixing bowl with it as well. Set baking sheet aside.
- Pop 8 cups of popcorn and place in the sprayed mixing bowl.
- Bring sugar and ¼ c. water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Boil, swirling pan occasionally, until caramel is a deep amber color, 10–12 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in hot sauce and butter (mixture will bubble vigorously and the hot sauce will clump- but when it’s returned to the heat you will realize that you haven’t ruined your caramel). Return to a boil and cook another 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in salt and baking soda. Working quickly and carefully with the HOT caramel, pour caramel mixture over popcorn and toss to coat.
- Spread out popcorn on prepared baking sheet and bake, tossing once, until dry, 15–20 minutes. Allow to cool.
Adapted from a recipe by Claire Saffitz from Bon Appetit