French Dipping Sandwiches(hooray): Total Time: 30 minutes (if you work leisurely) Serves 2
- 1/2 lb. deli sliced roast beef, the deli, not the prepackaged, if you’ve got children you could use that for them because them, but get the good stuff for you darn it!
- 1 french baguette
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 c. beef consommé
- 1 tbsp. sherry wine
- 2 tbsp. butter
- horseradish (optional to spread on bread, my dad did this all the time, and it has stuck with me).
- Melt the butter on medium to medium high heat, not looking for browned butter here. Sauté the shallot in the butter for 1 to 2 minutes until softened. Add the sherry and cook until it is completely evaporated, Then add the consommé and cook, stirring, until its reduced in half.
- Toast (or panini press it*)the baguette and spread whatever you like, mustard, horseradish or nothing at all.
- Warm the beef and assemble to enjoy. Make sure you dip it, if you forget you’ve just got an ambiguous French sandwich.
*this is how a tea drinker panini presses a sandwich