Coffee Tasting with Sudanese Canapes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Skill Level: Moderate. Budget: $. Serves: 12 sampling sizes
For the canapes
- 1/3 lb. rare roast beef
- 1 small clove garlic
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 1 tsp. fresh dill
- 1/2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
For the drinks (tea and latte are optional)
- 12 oz. cold brewed coffee
- 12 oz. monkey picked downy green Chinese tea, iced
- 12 oz. soy latte, topped with Bourbon Caramel Sauce
- With a sharp pairing knife and a deft hand “hull” the cherry tomatoes like you would strawberries by cutting a circle around the stem attachment end and pulling out the seeds. Be careful not to cut through the tomatoes, but to remove most of the center seeds and ribs so that they can be properly stuffed.
- Peel strips off of the cucumber in a pattern so it has dark strips of green (see photo). Using the pairing knife or a small circular cutter, cut out the center seedy pieces of the cucumber so that the cherry tomato will sit up in the cucumber vessel.
- In a small food processor or with a chef’s knife chop up the roast beef, garlic and dill. Mix them thoroughly together. Gently stuff the beef mixture into the tomatoes then place each tomato in its cucumber vessel. Just before serving drizzle lightly with a touch of balsamic.
- Serve with any combination of the beverages mentioned above.