Cherry Cheese Stuffed French Toast: Serves 2, can be easily scaled up: Total Time: 15-20 minutes.
Summer time is cherry time and seasonal fruits in summer are ridiculously fun to use in the kitchen!
- 4 slices of sandwich bread
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 2 tbsp. greek or plain yogurt
- 3/4 tsp. ground allspice
- 2/3 c. dark sweet cherries, stems removed and pitted, chopped
- 3 oz. cream cheese, as soft as possible
- syrup for serving or 2 tsp. of ground beet sugar
- Pre-heat a panini press or griddle pan to cook the French toast.
- Add the eggs, milk, yogurt and allspice to a small bowl and whisk until all mixed together. Coat the bread in the egg mixture and cook until the outer part of the bread is crisp on the outside, but not fully done, one and a half minutes (per side if you’re using a griddle pan).
- Remove the toasts from the grill. If you are opting not to use syrup at the end, you should mix the beet sugar into the cream cheese now. Spread the cream cheese evenly on half of the toast pieces and then sprinkle the chopped cherries on the cheese. Top the cream cheese and cherry piece of toast with another and panini press until cheese becomes slightly melty.
- Cut in halves and serve with syrup.