I made this dish once we had real money in the grocery budget about three months into our marriage. The grilled steak comes back in the third year of marriage and it is still a beloved classic. Fresh and exuberant the cilantro pesto balances the smoky meaty notes of the steak and the earthy chickpeas in a opus of sophisticated, yet manly flavour!
Grilled Steak with Chickpea and Cilantro Salad: Total Time 40 minutes: Active Time: 30 minutes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs. flank steak
- 5 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 c. loosely packed fresh cilantro (about 1 large bunch)
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp.ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. hot paprika
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Preheat a grill to medium high. Season the steak with salt and pepper and rub with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Lightly brush the grill grates with olive oil. Grill the steak 6 to 8 minutes per side for medium rare. Transfer to a cutting board to rest, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the pesto: Puree the remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, the cilantro, garlic, cumin, paprika, 3 tablespoons water and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a mini food processor or blender until smooth.
- Toss the chickpeas, carrots, scallions, the remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 3 tablespoons of the pesto in a medium bowl; season with salt and pepper. Thinly slice the steak against the grain. Serve with the chickpea salad and the remaining pesto.
Per serving: Calories 648; Fat 31 g (Saturated 7 g); Cholesterol 65 mg; Sodium 383 mg; Carbohydrate 43 g; Fiber 10 g; Protein 47 g