Beef and Mango Curry Toss: Total Time: 30 minutes: Serves 4
- 1 ½ tsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 2 yellow plantains, peeled and sliced ¼ in. thick
- ¾ lb. sirloin beef strips
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 oz. frozen cubed mango
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 2 oz. roasted unsalted peanuts
- In a large nonstick skillet heat ½ tsp. oil on medium. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally until translucent~ 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spread plantains on a cutting board, and, using the flat bottom of a glass, firmly press down to flatten and set aside.
- Add beef and garlic to the skillet. Cook stirring often until beef is cooked through~5 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a fine mesh colander to drain any fat. Return to skillet and stir in mango, curry powder and salt. Toss well to combine and decrease heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring constantly and breaking the mango into smaller pieces as it softens, until heated through~5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in peanuts.
- In a separate large nonstick skillet, heat remaining tsp. oil on medium-low. Add plantains and cook undisturbed for 2-3 minutes, until bottoms are golden brown. Carefully turn each one and cook undisturbed for another 2 minutes on the other side. Divide the beef mixture and tostones among the serving plates.