Think of this as an Irish-Italian fusion food.
Cabbage Lasagna: Total Time 4-6.5 hours: Active Time: 30 minutes: Serves 6
- 16 oz. tomato or spaghetti sauce
- 1 lb. ground beef or sausage, browned and drained
- 1 medium onion, sautéed
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. oregano
- a bit of black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 sm head cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 c. cottage cheese or ricotta
- 1 egg, beaten
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- Combine the tomato sauce, browned beef, onion, garlic powder, oregano, pepper, and red pepper flakes in a large saucepan. Bring to a simmer and allow to simmer for 15 minutes. Ladle some of the meat sauce into the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Combine the cottage cheese and egg and layer in first with 1) cabbage 2) meat sauce 3) cottage cheese and 4) mozzarella. Layer a few times being sure to end with the mozzarella cheese.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours.